Lorna Mills and Sally McKay
Digital Media Tree
this blog's archive
Lorna Mills: Artworks / Persona Volare / contact
Sally McKay: GIFS / cv and contact
View current page
...more recent posts
Jennifer Chan at Widget Art Gallery
Close your eyes and hum along.
The only list we are publishing this year by renowned God-Botherer Anthony Easton :
Top Aesthetic Things of 2012
1) Seeing the Gran Fury posters in their proper context, in the documentary United in Anger
2) At the Same Time, the Ted Kerr curated photos at the clga, with Zach Ayoltte, Quinford and Scout and others. Melancholy, solitude, togetherness, and erotic power, like being caught by a Joni Mitchell song at her most bleak. http://cargocollective.com/atthesametime/Colin-Quinn-Oisin-Share
3)Others. the mosaics at the back of the oratory, and (4) how sexy the centurions looked on the hand carved stations of the cross , and a (5) big blow up of the magazine cover for the house journal from 1972, where jesus and groovy cult leader kind of mesh.
6. Audry Wells schematics of churches, where they were and what they are now, as an example of Montrealís secularism. http://www.cca.qc.ca/abc_pdfs/113-Wells.pdf
7. Mercer Unionís tiny back room Diane Arbus show, with the cut outs of journals and the monolithic piles of magazines she appeared in. http://www.torontolife.com/daily/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/arbus-malmo.jpg
8-9) How weirdly voyeuristic the show about swimming pools in LA photography was, at least from the catalog, which was a big glossy coffee table. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tanja-m-laden/backyard-oasis-exhibit-la_b_1256233.html (and speaking of LA, how they figured out how to photograph those Ken Price sculptures in his retrospective.) http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/ken-price
10) the abruptly ending lines, pastel tones, and acres of burlap colored raw canvas in Gorgia Griffiaís canvases from the 70s. http://www.frompointtopoint.org/article-6832637.html/
11) Mickalene Thomasí complete decimation of bad taste, good taste, good bad taste, and taste in general/
12) Luke Bryan singing hip hop live in concert, but only from the midwest, and only on Youtube.
13) How Nick Lachey made an accidental Jack Peirson Self Portrait.
14) How this photo of the Jean Nouvel carousel in the middle of Sandy makes me wonder if modernism is finally dead.
15) The 10 models of big rig trucks you could assemble at this warehouse near Snowdon.
16) The two 16th century paintings of the destruction of sodom on a small side wall of a smaller ante chamber in the museum of Beaux Arts in Montreal. http://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/collections/art-occidental/-/art?objects=&ages=&q=sodom&sort=featured&display=grid#http://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/collections/art-occidental/-/art/details/MIMSY_ID_24913
17) Also in that museum, this giant Dutch still life with a monkey stealing fruit on the side
18) The memes of the monkey in ikea
19-21) the 50s style motels on the edges of Montreal on the bus, and by extension, wondering what is in Cornwall Ontario
22) The dessicated heart of St. Andre and the 50s era, natural history style dioramas surrounding it
23) The Vogue Themed Bar Mitzvah www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8XDo4lsa10
24) Jessica Campbellís painting of a floor, a perfect example of the difficulties that occur when abstraction and representation collapse into each other, and by difficulties, i mean pure pleasures. http://jessicacampbellpainting.tumblr.com/image/37581771147
25) The deconstruction of 70s style utopias, found in Martin Beck show and presentation at the Concordia artís center--including the best conceptual riff on brutalism you will ever see.
26) Romney, so weary, pumping his own gas.
27) Sharon Stones nipples as an example of life pushing against death. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UkjDj8LUcY8/T_iDA52dg5I/AAAAAAAAFus/1e9IaavbKis/s1600/Stone01.jpg
28) That weird druggy scene in Magic Mike, or the cowboy scene, take yr pic
29) These photos by Kelly Hofer, a hutterite, of hutterites, and the implications of identity, collectivism, and what exactly will get you kicked off the farm. http://kellyhofer.com/hutterite-photos/
30) These photos illustrating a story about an Autistic kid who got lost, as a reminder of spectrum kids and what happens to them. http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/outdoor-skills/survival/Catch-Me-If-You-Can-20120801.html?page=13
31) Lynn Cohenís installation at the Design Exchange. All about the blankness of power not being quite blank, or the implications of violence, or something (mostly i envy her eye for detail and her skills at access)
Da Zep; an adolescent religion for youth in the 70's:
The Song Remains the Same
Whole Lotta Love
Stairway to Heaven
Rea McNamara - The Age Issue (stage 4 of 4) at Widget Art Gallery