View current page...more recent posts
Hallett Nature Sanctuary is one of the Park's three woodlands (along with the Ramble and North Woods). It was originally called "the Promontory" by the Park's designers. The underused and inaccessible landscape was closed to the public and preserved as a bird sanctuary by NYC Parks Commissioner Robert Moses in 1934, and in 1986 renamed in memory of George Harvey Hallett Jr., a birdwatcher, naturalist, and civic leader.
The sanctuary remained untouched until 2001, when the Central Park Conservancy took up its restoration and maintenance. Hallett Nature Sanctuary is a perfect example of how even the "wildest," most naturalistic habitats in Central Park require constant planning and care in order to thrive. As a result of the Conservancy's removal of invasive plant species and introduction of native plants, the sanctuary is more diverse and healthy than ever, supporting various wildlife populations. To learn more about the Hallett Nature Sanctuary from Doug Blonsky, the Conservancy's President & CEO, click here.